Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine can provide very helpful tools to support a happy and healthy pregnancy. Many women use Acupuncture anywhere from once a week throughout their entire pregnancy, while others use it as conditions arise.
Below are some common conditions successfully treated during pregnancy.
- Prevent tearing / episiotomy We also focus improving the contractility of the perineum.
- Ease Fears and Stress. It has been shown the presence of fear and/or stress can actually increase pain sensations and cause more tension in the body. Reducing the emotional build-up from pregnancy can prove to be very helpful as well.
- As part of your labor preparation you will also be given other recommendations of things you can be doing at home to prepare your body for an enjoyable birth experience.
- Labor Induction Post Due Date. By needling specific points during the pregnancy, an acupuncture practitioner is able to apply all of theses points to move energy towards the pelvis and stimulate a strong, moving energy flow. This surges the release of Qi and blood to the pelvis and can result in stimulating uterine contractions.
- Post-Partum Disorders After labor acupuncture is a wonderful, safe and effective way to help a woman’s body heal and re-balance. The restoration a new mother’s health is imperative for her own well being and for her ability to be present for her newborn. Among the conditions that acupuncture can address after birth are: fatigue, postpartum vaginal discharge, postpartum depression, mastitis, insufficient or excessive lactation. If there has been caesarian section, acupuncture can help with the post operative healing as well.
MORE ABOUT ACUPUNCTURE FOR:
Acupuncture can be especially useful if there has been a history of miscarriage. With acupuncture we are able to prevent uterine contractions, alleviate spotting or bleeding, relax the body and also provide a lifting and holding force in the uterus.
Treat nausea, benefit digestion
For many women the digestive system becomes very sensitive. Acupuncture has been shown to alleviate nausea, treat heartburn, constipation and even alleviate hemorrhoids.
Improve fatigue, reduce swelling and improve circulation
By supporting the body to keep a healthy balance we can benefit energy and circulation, from edema to sinus congestion. This helps to create a pleasant state of well-being so pregnancy can be enjoyed to its fullest.
Ease pain and discomfort
Throughout all stages of pregnancy many women experience discomfort, whether it be growing pains, low back pain, sciatic pain or carpal tunnel, acupuncture usually can help.
Ease stress and anxiety
For many worry, anxiety and overall tension can increase with a pregnancy. Acupuncture can be deeply relaxing and reduce stress for the mother and developing baby. It also allows the flow of energy to remain open and can help prevent post-partum depression.
Acupuncture for Labor Preparation and Post Partum
Moxabustion has a high success rate to correct breech presentation. The technique is most effective between the 29th and 34th week, up to 36 weeks of pregnancy. The optimal time for effectiveness is 32-34 weeks, starting as early as possible. Past the 36th it is more difficult as there is not as much room for the fetus to turn.
Labor Preparation + support for a smooth labor and delivery
When used with the appropriate timing and frequency acupuncture can be a very effective way to prepare the body for a smooth and comfortable labor and delivery. A recent study showed for women who used acupuncture regularly during their pregnancy had a decreased the time of “hard” labor. It is best to start the “labor preparation acupuncture” no later than 37 weeks and have a treatment at least once a week from that point on.
The main strength of acupuncture for labor preparation is not to compete with an epidural; it is more to prolonged or eliminate the need for pain medications and decrease labor time. Many women actually won’t choose an epidural due to such quick labor time.
The main goals of Labor Preparation Acupuncture are:
We can utilize acupuncture points to prepare the cervix to relax and open with ease. Also use points that initiate a downward opening flow of energy, as well as reduce any blockages that may have developed during the development of the pregnancy.
Many of the points use relax the mind and body, improve circulation and most importantly strengthen the pelvic floor.